Music is the soundtrack of my soul. There are so many lyrics imprinted on my heart. It is rare that I don’t have a song stuck in my head. I grew up listening to country and rock, and my favorite genre is country by a long shot. I also like some pop, jazz, rock, and classical. Records make me insanely happy, and I have a small collection of some I have found at antique stores and flea markets.
I don’t only like listening to music, I also love playing it. I played the alto saxophone in school, being in concert band for eight years and jazz band for five years. These are some of my fondest school memories; it was my favorite class and my favorite teacher. We went on awesome trips every year and played a concert each semester.
Some of my favorite artists and groups:
- Bruno Mars
- Chris Stapleton
- Dierks Bentley
- Ed Sheeran
- Eric Church
- Kacey Musgraves
- Kip Moore
- Lady Antebellum
- Little Big Town
- Maren Morris
- Old Dominion
- Thomas Rhett
- Zac Brown Band
Some of my favorite songs:
- A Great Big World: Say Something
- B.o.B: Don’t Let Me Fall
- Bruno Mars: Treasure, If I Knew, and Talking to the Moon
- Chris Stapleton: Tennessee Whiskey
- Dierks Bentley: I Hold On
- Ed Sheeran: Shirtsleeves, Thinking Out Loud, Perfect, and Dive
- Eric Church: Give Me Back My Hometown and Springsteen
- Florida Georgia Line: H.O.L.Y.
- Hedley: For the Nights I Can’t Remember
- John Legend: All of Me
- Jon Pardi: Head Over Boots
- Kacey Musgraves: Silver Lining, Good Ol’ Boys Club, and Pageant Material
- Keith Urban: Blue Ain’t Your Color
- Kip Moore: That Was Us and What Ya Got On Tonight
- Lady Antebellum: Things People Say, American Honey, and It Ain’t Pretty
- Little Big Town: Pontoon and Girl Crush
- Lorde: The Love Club, Ribs, and A World Alone
- Maren Morris: Rich, Drunk Girls Don’t Cry, I Wish I Was, and Once
- Maroon 5: Lucky Strike
- Midland: Check Cashin’ Country and Drinkin’ Problem
- Miranda Lambert: The House That Built Me
- Old Dominion: Snapback and Wrong Turns
- Sugarland: Stay, Baby Girl, and All I Want To Do
- Taylor Swift: Breathe, Everything Has Changed, Mary’s Song, Style, Wonderland, and New Romantics
- Tim McGraw: Shotgun Rider, Diamond Rings and Old Barstools, Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs, and Annie I Owe You a Dance
- The Black Eyed Peas: Play It Loud and One Tribe
- Thomas Rhett: Die a Happy Man and Star of the Show
- Train: Drops of Jupiter, Give It All, Just a Memory, and I Will Remember
- Zac Brown Band: Goodbye in Her Eyes, Sweet Annie, Beautiful Drug, and Loving You Easy
So “some” was an understatement… I really like music, okay! I tend to stick with the same artists and listen to them repeatedly rather than dabbling in a wider variety.
My family enjoys going to the concerts of our favorite artists, and my list has grown in the past few years. I think concerts are a great way to connect with other fans in a room where everyone is there to love and appreciate the music. So far, I have seen Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum (twice), Zac Brown Band, Brad Paisley, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Thomas Rhett, Johnny Reid, and Eric Church.
It might be corny, but I’m going to say it: music has changed my life. It is such a big part of who I am and it lingers with me even when I am not actually listening. There is always a song waiting for me, no matter what mood I’m in or what I’m feeling at any given time. And that is such a gift.