Music is the soundtrack of my soul. There are so many lyrics imprinted on my heart. It is rare that I don’t have a song stuck in my head. I grew up listening to country and rock, and my favorite genre is country by a long shot. I also like some pop, jazz, rock, and classical. Records make me insanely happy, and I have a small collection of some I have found at antique stores and flea markets.
I don’t only like listening to music, I also love playing it. I played the alto saxophone in school, being in concert band for eight years and jazz band for five years. These are some of my fondest school memories; it was my favorite class and my favorite teacher. We went on awesome trips every year and played a concert each semester.
Some of my favorite artists and groups:
- Bruno Mars
- Chris Stapleton
- Dierks Bentley
- Ed Sheeran
- Eric Church
- Kacey Musgraves
- Kip Moore
- Lady Antebellum
- Little Big Town
- Maren Morris
- Old Dominion
- Thomas Rhett
- Zac Brown Band
Some of my favorite songs:
- A Great Big World: Say Something
- B.o.B: Don’t Let Me Fall
- Bruno Mars: Treasure, If I Knew, and Talking to the Moon
- Chris Stapleton: Tennessee Whiskey
- Dierks Bentley: I Hold On
- Ed Sheeran: Shirtsleeves, Thinking Out Loud, Perfect, and Dive
- Eric Church: Give Me Back My Hometown and Springsteen
- Florida Georgia Line: H.O.L.Y.
- Hedley: For the Nights I Can’t Remember
- John Legend: All of Me
- Jon Pardi: Head Over Boots
- Kacey Musgraves: Silver Lining, Good Ol’ Boys Club, and Pageant Material
- Keith Urban: Blue Ain’t Your Color
- Kip Moore: That Was Us and What Ya Got On Tonight
- Lady Antebellum: Things People Say, American Honey, and It Ain’t Pretty
- Little Big Town: Pontoon and Girl Crush
- Lorde: The Love Club, Ribs, and A World Alone
- Maren Morris: Rich, Drunk Girls Don’t Cry, I Wish I Was, and Once
- Maroon 5: Lucky Strike
- Midland: Check Cashin’ Country and Drinkin’ Problem
- Miranda Lambert: The House That Built Me
- Old Dominion: Snapback and Wrong Turns
- Sugarland: Stay, Baby Girl, and All I Want To Do
- Taylor Swift: Breathe, Everything Has Changed, Mary’s Song, Style, Wonderland, and New Romantics
- Tim McGraw: Shotgun Rider, Diamond Rings and Old Barstools, Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs, and Annie I Owe You a Dance
- The Black Eyed Peas: Play It Loud and One Tribe
- Thomas Rhett: Die a Happy Man and Star of the Show
- Train: Drops of Jupiter, Give It All, Just a Memory, and I Will Remember
- Zac Brown Band: Goodbye in Her Eyes, Sweet Annie, Beautiful Drug, and Loving You Easy
So “some” was an understatement… I really like music, okay! I tend to stick with the same artists and listen to them repeatedly rather than dabbling in a wider variety.
My family enjoys going to the concerts of our favorite artists, and my list has grown in the past few years. I think concerts are a great way to connect with other fans in a room where everyone is there to love and appreciate the music. So far, I have seen Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum (twice), Zac Brown Band, Brad Paisley, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, and Thomas Rhett.
It might be corny, but I’m going to say it: music has changed my life. It is such a big part of who I am and it lingers with me even when I am not actually listening. There is always a song waiting for me, no matter what mood I’m in or what I’m feeling at any given time. And that is such a gift.